my voki


Get a Voki now!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Julie!!!


After weeks, yes weeks, of planning my daughter's 2nd birthday, the day finally arrived. My sister was nice enough to have the party at her house, which is much bigger than mine, and we spent the morning decorating and cooking for the party. My in-laws even came from Pennsylvania to celebrate with us. I went to Party City to pick up the balloons and that turned out to be a challenge due to the torrential winds. Did I mention Julie's birthday party fell on the day of the big storm/hurricane? It was pouring out and trees seemed to be tumbling down on every block. Luckily, the decorations turned out great. After I finished setting up I went back home to change and put Julie in her party dress. At 6 pm we went back to my sister's house to wait for the guests to arrive. Fortunately everyone showed up inspite of the horriffic driving conditions. We were all having a great time, enjoying the food and catching up with eachother. Then, suddenly, the lights went out. Thanks to the violent storm we spent julie's 2nd birhtday in the dark. Luckily everyone had a great sense of humor about the situation and joked that it was a romantic, candle-lit birthday celebration.




**Vocabulary words**




1. in-laws: noun,a relative by marriage.


2. challenge:noun, difficulty in a job, or undertaking that is stimulating to one engaged in it.


3. torrential:adjective, viloent, vehement, or impassioned.


4. fortunately: having good fortune; receiving good from uncertain or unexpected sources.


5. horrific:–adjective ,causing horror.


6. violent: adjective, acting with or characterized by uncontrolled, strong, rough force.




**Fill in the blank using the vocabulary words above.**




1. My sister's _______live in Florida.


2. The scary movie was filled with _____scenes.


3. Last week's storm was accompanied by ______winds.


4. I found the homework assignment to be quite a _____.


5. Haiti was hit by a very _______earthquake.


6. I had to miss class thursday night. ______, the teacher gave me a chance to make up what I'd missed.



***GRAMMAR POINT***


My blog is filled with long sentences that require commas. A comma is defined as a mark of punctuation used for indicating a division in a sentence, as in setting off a word, phrase, or clause, esp. when such a division is accompanied by a slight pause or is to be noted in order to give order to the sequential elements of the sentence.


Write 5 sentences using the vocabulary words above and incorporate a comma in each sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment